1718 the Banat region was put under Austrian rule by the peace-treaty of Passarowitz after 164 years of Turkish (Ottoman) occupation. After that German-speaking, catholic settler from the Holy Roman Empire (Of German Nation) were settled during three periods, the so-called „Schwabenzuege“.
Carlottenburg was founded in 1771 in the course of the second setteling period (1763-1772).
The foundation took place on the site of an older village, Baricza, which was probably destroyed by the Turks [Bárány]. On the Josephinian Land Survey of the Banat from 1769-1772 Charlottenburg is not registered, the valley of the Berexova is unoccupied. In the Franciscan Land Survey from 1864 Charlottenburg and the old name Barica are registered. The name Barița is still used today by the inhabitants of the neighboring Romanian village Buzad.
The village was named Charlottenburg by the wife of the president of the k.k. Banat administration Karl Ignaz Count of Clary and Aldringen, Maria Anna Antonia [Schwicker].
In the same year the other villages in the Bergsau (Beregsau) vally were also founded: Altringen, Neuhof (Bogda), Buchberg (Sintar) and Lichtenwald (Comeat).
30 [Petri] or 32 [Griselini] families were settled there. 67 of the colonists came from the region east of Trient, 12 from Lorraine, 10 from Baden and Württemberg, 8 from Hungary, 7 from Rhineland and Rhineland-Palatinate, 6 from Austria, 3 from Bavaria and individuals from other regions.
The colonists were handed over 412 cadastral acre (1 cadastral acre = 0,5755 ha).
During the handover of the Banat region to Hungary in 1778 the area was mapped in detail for the first time. Three maps regarding Charlottenburg can be admired in the Urbarium.
From 1780 on emperor Joseph II offered the villages, owned by the chamber, to the aristocrats on auction sale. Due to this the owners changed a few times:
- 1782 Posfay Joszef
- 1814 Karl prince Schwarzenberg
- 1819 Peter Thököly de Kevermes
- 1838 Georg Simon baron Sina de Hodos et Kizdia
- 1886 Ansatasia Baronin Sina, married count Wimpffen
- 1891 Siegfried count Wimpffen
- 1921 Agrarian reform in Romania, expropriation of the count, the ground was distributed to the peasants.
- 1875-1876 the church was built in honor of the holy trinity. The costs were divided between local peasants and the family Sina de Hodos et Kizdia
- 1895-1896 the railway station for the Bergsau area, called Sarlota was built. It is situated 2 km away from Charlottenburg
- 1896 the school was built. Before that the classes took place in a room of house no. 57
- on the 14th of January 1945, 22 women and 21 men were deported as forced laborers to „Russia“ (USSR). Five of them did not return home: Franz Heber, Ana Hopp, Franz Kusak, Franz Lannert and Peter Schmidt
- 1946 expropriation (nationalisation) of land
- 1964 electrification of the village and the Bergsau
- 1974 the countryroad to Charlottenburg was tared.