European Hunting Domain
In the year 1838 Georg Simon Baron Sina de Hodos et Kizdia made the land
of Charlottenburg his own. 1886 his daughter Anastasia Baroness Sina got
married to Count Siegfried von Wimpffen.
The count was a passionate hunter, so he built the hunting lodge in the year 1890, which later on became the Forest Administration no. 14.
In the years 1902-1904 the count started the hunting park. There were built 18 km of fence, the total surface grasps 1260 ha. From this surface 105 ha are meadows, there are on it 2 wells and installations for breeding. In the year 1904 there were brought 24 specimens of fallow dear (Dama dama) from Serbia, and in 1905 there were brought again 24 specimens, this time from Bohemia. Between 1910 and 1911 red deer (Cervus elaphus) from Bohemia were settled. The population in 1935 was approximately 600-700 pieces and grew temporary up to 1200 pieces in the year 1970.
After World War one the park became estate of the Romanian Royal House (Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen), after World War two the park became state propriety of the Romanian State.
There is a long tradition with hunting in this park. First it was the founder with his guests, later on the Romanian Royal Family, after World War two Russian soldiers came to hunt with machine guns then, the red nomenclature and finally passionate hunters from Europe.
Through the park and its surroundings one may hunt also wild boars, roebucks, foxes, wolves, pheasants, partridges and quails.
Fallow deer and red deer have been brought to other parts of Romania, to Austria and Germany. Between 1966 and 1977, when Gheorghe Țițu was the forest ranger 269 specimens of fallow dears and 36 specimens of red deer were colonized. By selective hunting 1563 pieces of fallow dears and 175 pieces of red deer were shot.